Thursday, June 16, 2011

His Love is above the Law

John 5:6- 11
6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
 7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
 8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.
   The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”
 11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’

I read this to my daughter the other night and wanted to blog about it sooner, but this is the first chance I've been given since then.  

She heard the story, and normally I feel the need to paraphrase it for her, so she can understand what the message of the story is.  
While I was paraphrasing it, I understood what the message is.  Maybe not fully, but certainly from another aspect.  God's Love is above the Law.  Its His law anyway, but His love is what put it in place.  His love for us, and to keep us safe.  So in essence, to love someone so much as to heal them on the Sabbath is fulfilling the law.....God's love fulfills the law, and so do we if we do the same as He did.  It really makes it clear that God is not religion and rules, but again, love......God is Love. Paul reiterates this constantly in the New Testament, we are not longer under law, but under Grace.  We've never been under a law that would deny the sick, needy,  homeless, poor, hurting, ect,  but on the contrary, would love them and have mercy on them and heal them even on a day that is unlawful to do so.  Love is before the law.....and it is when Christ died, the law was abolished forever and all that is left is Love......Sometimes Christianity is made all about something its not, instead of everything that it is.......

Romans 13:9- “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
John 13:34-“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.










Prayer:
Father, teach us to love like you.  Give us a compassionate heart and eyes to see what you see.  Lord make our hearts tender and soft, as we seek to fulfill the command you gave even from the beginning of time....Take over and make us a new creation in you, to be who you created us to be in the first place....In Jesus Name....Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment